“Amid the rash of appeals for Haiti donations has come a call from one of the most prominent voices on the American right for people to hang on to their cash because Barack Obama might steal it.Rush Limbaugh, the most popular radio talkshow host, who is sometimes described as the real leader of the Republican party, says Americans should not give a penny to a population struggling for survival after the earthquake.” (Guardian.UK)
“Bill O’Reilly explaining that of course America has lower life expectancy than Canada — we have 10 times as many people, so we have 10 times as many deaths.
I need a drink.” — Paul Krugman (New York Times op-ed)
Telecom firms back standard phone charger in Europe: “The agreement by Nokia, Sony Ericsson and other industry majors will mean phones compatible with standard charging devices are available in Europe from next year, said the EU executive, which has pushed for such a deal.” (Reuters Technology)
And the reason we cannot do this in the US? Comes down to either greed or stupidity; I can’t see any other possibilities.
“No one could accuse the American Psychiatric Association of missing a strain of sourness in the country, or of failing to capitalize on its diagnostic potential. Having floated “Apathy Disorder” as a trial balloon, to see if it might garner enough support for inclusion in the next edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, the world’s diagnostic bible of mental illnesses, the organization has generated untold amounts of publicity and incredulity this week by debating at its convention whether bitterness should become a bona fide mental disorder.” (Psychology Today)
- I looked You Up – I know what your Problem is!!! (dummidumbwit.wordpress.com)
- REVISING THE DSM-IV INTO THE DSM-V. There are high stakes here – a DSM-sanctioned diagnosis can m… (pajamasmedia.com)
- Update: DSM-V Major Changes (psychcentral.com)
- The Next Attention Deficit Disorder? (time.com)
- At the Doctor’s Office – How Not to Get Sick – TIME (time.com)
- Redefining Crazy: Researchers Revise the DSM (time.com)
- Sadly not insanity: psychiatrists want bitterness classed as a mental disorder (inquisitr.com)
“Rep. John Boehner cites cows’ flatulence to defend his sacred carbon emissions…Is it any wonder that Americans think the Limbaugh National Committee is out of their collective minds?” (Crooks and Liars via abby).
- John Boehner Demonstrates The GOP Obstruction Plan (oliverwillis.com)
- Sunday Morning Bobblehead Thread (crooksandliars.com)
“I decided to settle this question once and for all. Therefore, I put two multiple choice questions on my Physics 111 test, after the study of elementary mechanics and gravity…” via www.phys.ufl.edu.
About forty minutes standing around and inhaling is the equivalent of one stiff gin and tonic in London bar. (Fast Company).