“Mr. Souter has been on the court since October 1990. He was nominated by President George H.W. Bush on July 25, 1990, to a seat vacated by William Joseph Brennan, Jr., and confirmed by the Senate on October 2, 1990.” via NYTimes.
“I decided to settle this question once and for all. Therefore, I put two multiple choice questions on my Physics 111 test, after the study of elementary mechanics and gravity…” via www.phys.ufl.edu.
This message was passed on David Farber’s IP mailing list:
- Healthmap (http://healthmap.org/en) brings together disparate data sources to achieve a unified and comprehensive view of the current global state of infectious diseases and their effect on human and animal health. The data is aggregated by disease and displayed by location for user-friendly access to the original alert. HealthMap provides a jumping-off point for real-time information on emerging infectious diseases and has particular interest for public health officials and international travelers.
- Disease Outbreak News (http://www.who.int/csr/don/en/)
- Google Alerts to monitor the H1N1 developing news story
- Fast evolving Wikipedia 2009 swine flu outbreak article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_flu)
- Google map of H1N1 Swine Flu:
— Pink markers are suspect
— Purple markers are confirmed
— Deaths lack a dot in marker
Does anyone who’s seen it know if the season 1, episode 2 Breaking Bad scene involving hydrofluoric acid and a bathtub is chemically accurate? Not that I am planning to employ a similar technique, but a friend just recommended this series and I have started to download episodes. (thanks, abby) Thanks in advance for any insights.
“Countries planned quarantines, tightened rules on pork imports and tested airline passengers for fevers as global health officials tried Sunday to come up with uniform ways to battle a deadly strain of swine flu. Nations from New Zealand to France reported new suspected cases and some warned citizens against travel to North America.
Governments including China, Russia and Taiwan began planning to put anyone with symptoms of the deadly virus under quarantine.” (Yahoo! News).
- Swine flu cases spread (horsesass.org)
- 10 Students in New Zealand ‘Likely’ Have Swine Flu (nytimes.com)
Shameless self-promotion dept.: It is only six months until Halloween, more or less, and you know what happens shortly thereafter, don’t you? It’ll be the tenth anniversary of FmH in November. So far, my hit counter has recorded around 825,000 hits since the inception of this weblog. I suppose it is out of the question to hit the 1,000,000 mark as a birthday present to FmH, isn’t it? That would require 175,000 hits in 180 days, abit less than 1,000 hits a day on average, which is an order of magnitude beyond our normal readership and three times what FmH has attracted at its peak. But, if you ever thought you might disseminate a link to Follow Me Here, now would be the time.
Update: It never occurred to me, as a commenter pointed out (thanks, stan), that RSS readership doesn’t drive up the hit counter. This may mean that I am alot closer to the million mark than I think. If a significant number of people read my RSS feed (how would I know? drop me a comment if you do, please), it might be part of the explanation of the apparent progressive falloff in readership from earlier years. (I have been convinced that I lost a significant segment of my readership when I took several months’ hiatus a couple of years ago…) Of course, it may also be that FmH is attracting less interest than it used to, either intrinsically or because there is so much more competition out there. (None of which is to say that I am doing this for the circulation numbers!)