“A fresh look at ornate 1000-year-old vases from New Mexico’s canyons has unearthed a surprise: They were used as mugs to drink chocolate. The findings are the first record of the food in North America, long before its introduction in colonial times. They also reveal that chocolate was an expensive delicacy enjoyed by few during elaborate rituals.” via Coelho 2009 (202): 3, ScienceNOW.
‘…The method is not particularly practical at the moment, because it fails almost all of the time. Only 1 of every 100 million teleportation attempts succeed, requiring 10 minutes to transfer one bit of quantum information.
“We need to work on that,” Dr. Monroe said.’ via NYTimes [thanks, abby].
- Teleportation Is Real But Don’t Try It at Home (time.com)
- Quantum Teleportation Between Distant Matter Qubits (lockergnome.com)
- Quantum Leap: Information Teleported between Ions at a Distance (sciam.com)
- Spooky memory at a distance with quantum teleportation (arstechnica.com)
- One small step for a man, one giant leap for teleportation (news.cnet.com)
‘Sorry, Michael Steele, but it’s going to be a while before you’re anything more than the figurehead frontman of a shipwrecked Republican National Committee. Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh remain the leaders of your party, and most Republicans are happy that way. A Rasmussen poll out today found that fully 55 percent of Republicans polled think their party should be “more like” Palin.’ — Joan Walsh via Salon.
- For GOP, a case of misshapen identity (msnbc.msn.com)
- Hey, Have You Heard the One about Joan Walsh and Dick Armey? (firedoglake.com)
- Armey to Walsh: ‘I’m so damn glad that you can never be my wife.’ (thinkprogress.org)
- RNC Elects First African-American Chairman, Elisabeth Hasselbeck to Bring Another Ill-Informed Child Into the World (jossip.com)
- Dick Armey insults Salon’s Joan Walsh with sexist remark on Hardball (crooksandliars.com)
- GOP Being Bum-Rushed by ‘Voice’ of Party? (abcnews.go.com)