“Even before it was revealed Tuesday that an illegal fireworks display organized by China Central Television caused the spectacular fire that destroyed one of Beijing’s new glass-and-steel landmarks, the state-run broadcaster was already the subject of its own firestorm on the Internet.
The inferno at CCTV’s new, still-unoccupied headquarters complex laid bare a simmering anger and resentment toward the network for spending public money on grand construction projects and for continuing to broadcast government propaganda.” via Seattle Times .
- Fire rages at unfinished Beijing hotel (msnbc.msn.com)
- Images of the Beijing Fire (china.blogs.time.com)
- New Beijing landmark ablaze after firework festival (telegraph.co.uk)
- Beijing fire blamed on state TV fireworks (guardian.co.uk)
- 1 killed, 7 wounded in China hotel fire (cnn.com)